Recent Fires in Prince William County

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

Purvis Drive building damaged by fire

On Saturday, July 29th at 12:38 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to an apartment fire at the Melrose Apartments located in the 18100 block of Purvis Drive in Triangle. Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews observed fire in one of the multifamily duplex units in which one was occupied and the other vacant. Firefighters initiated fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire. No injuries reported.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, two units sustained extensive damage estimated at $150,000. The Building Official has posted the home unsafe. Red Cross was on scene to assist one adult misplaced by the fire. The fire is still under investigation by the Fire Marshal’s Office.

Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee would like to remind residents that Smoke Alarms save lives and your chance of survival doubles when a home contains both smoke alarms and a fire sprinkler system

On Sunday, July 30th at 5:56 a. m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire in a single family home located in the 1500 block of Walnut Street in Woodbridge. Upon arrival, fire and rescue crews observed the home heavily involved in smoke and fire. Firefighters commenced suppression operations and quickly extinguished the fire. While searching the home, firefighters discovered a victim in the home. This is the first fire fatality of 2017 in Prince William County. The last victim died in a townhouse fire on Ponderosa Court in Woodbridge on March 16, 2016.

A fire investigation was initiated with the Fire Marshal’s Office and the County Police Criminal Investigations Division (CID). The County Police has provided information in regard to the positive identification and cause of death of the victim. The victim has been identified as a 61-year-old male.

The fire investigation is continuing, but there are no signs of suspicious activity. The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen/dining area. Only one smoke detector was found in the debris and it was undetermined if it was operational.

Updated August 1, 2017



Comments are closed.