Provided by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT)
Temporary Lane Closures on Ramp from I-495 South to I-66 West Starting on or about Thursday, Jan. 28, through Mid-March 2021
Beginning on or about Thursday, Jan. 28, the ramp from I-495 South to I-66 West will be temporarily reduced to one lane for construction of a new ramp as part of the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project. The lane closure will be in place through mid-March 2021.
A full closure of the ramp is planned between 10:30 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. nightly on Wednesday, Jan. 27, and Thursday, Jan. 28, for crews to implement the change.
Details on the overnight closure and detour needed to implement the change include:
Wednesday, Jan. 27, and Thursday, Jan. 28 | Ramp from I-495 South to I-66 West
- The ramp will be closed from 10:30 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. nightly for crews to implement a lane shift and install barrier.
- Traffic will be detoured farther south on I-495 to exit toward Route 50 East, stay to the right toward Fairview Park, then take the left fork for Fairview Park North and bear left following signs to I-495 North and I-66 West.
Closures on I-66 and Route 50 in Fairfax Continue This Week for Bridge Beam Installation
Lane closures, ramp closures, and detours on I-66 and Route 50 in Fairfax continue nightly Tuesday, Jan. 26, through Friday, Jan. 29, as bridge beam installation continues at the I-66/Route 50 Interchange. Work planned for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday nights will close I-66 West and require detours using Route 50 West. Thursday night work will reduce I-66 to a single travel lane in each direction for about one mile with two-way traffic running in the westbound lanes of the interstate. The Route 50 Interchange is being rebuilt for the Transform 66 Outside the Beltway Project.
Multiple ramp closures are planned nightly. Drivers traveling on I-66 during this time should expect delays and should consider using alternate routes. All work is weather dependent and will be rescheduled if inclement conditions occur.
Tuesday, Jan. 26, Wednesday, Jan. 27, and Friday, Jan. 29 | I-66 West at Route 50
- All I-66 West travel lanes will be closed at Route 50 from 11:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- All westbound I-66 traffic will be directed to exit the interstate to Route 50 West, continue to West Ox Road South, stay to the right for Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
- All lanes will reopen by 5:30 a.m. (by 6:00 a.m. Saturday).
Ramp from Route 50 West to I-66 West
- The ramp from westbound Route 50 to I-66 West will be closed from 11:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured farther west to West Ox Road South, stay to the right for Route 50 East, then follow signs to I-66 West.
Ramp from I-66 West to Route 50 East
- The ramp from I-66 West to eastbound Route 50 will be closed from 11:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Traffic will be directed to exit the interstate to Route 50 West, continue to West Ox Road South, then stay to the right for Route 50 East.
Thursday, Jan. 28 | I-66 East and West Between Monument Drive and Waples Mill Road
- Around 9:30 p.m. the right-most lanes of I-66 East and the left-most lanes of I-66 West will close between Monument Drive and Waples Mill Road.
- Around 10:00 p.m. I-66 East traffic approaching Monument Drive will be narrowed to a single left lane. Eastbound traffic will cross on to the I-66 West side of the roadway near Monument Drive and remain in this pattern until east of Route 50. Eastbound traffic will then cross back over to the I-66 East side of the roadway through a gap in the median barrier and resume normal travel.
- Around 10:00 p.m. I-66 West traffic approaching Waples Mill Road will be narrowed to a single right lane and remain on the right side of the interstate beyond Monument Drive. Westbound traffic will resume normal travel following the point where eastbound traffic crosses on to the westbound lanes.
- Between 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. two-way traffic on I-66 West will be separated by traffic barrels and one closed travel lane. State police will be on-site to assist with traffic control and response.
- All lanes on I-66 East will reopen by 5:00 a.m., and on I-66 West by 5:30 a.m.
Ramp from Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West
- The ramp from Monument Drive to I-66 East/from I-66 West will be closed from 10:00 p.m. to 5l00 a.m.
Ramp from I-66 East to Route 50 West
- The ramp from I-66 East to Route 50 West will be closed from 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
- Traffic will be detoured prior to the closure to Route 50 East, stay to the left and make a U-turn from the left-most turn lane at the Waples Mill Road traffic signal on to Route 50 West.
Route 50 East from West Ox Road to I-66
- Route 50 East will be reduced to one travel lane approaching I-66 from 10:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
- Drivers should expect periodic stoppages of up to 20 minutes on eastbound Route 50 between 10:30 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.