(Family Features) Hosting a Halloween party just takes a great menu and imagination. Little ghosts, goblins, princesses and pirates love all things sweet. So, start by scaring up some fun with plenty of graveyard goodies.
No bones about it, a spooktacular skeleton cake will be the star of any Halloween party. Wilton’s Skeleton Cake Pan and Spider Web Cake Pan, both sold exclusively at Jo-Ann Craft and Fabric Stores, make this show-stopping dessert a cinch to create. Whip up your favorite chocolate pound cake recipe, bake it in the skeleton cake pan and use the same pan to make chocolate skeleton decorations. Nothing could be more simple or delicious.
Skeleton Cake and Spider & Web Candy Plaque
Some experience necessary
Crafting time: 1 hour, plus baking and chilling time
Supplies and Tools:
Favorite chocolate pound cake recipe or mix
Wilton Skeleton Cake Pan
10-inch by16-inch non-stick cooling grid
Candy Melts candy: white, vibrant green, orange and light cocoa
12-inch disposable decorating bags
Wilton cake decorating tip: 2
Wilton Spider Web Cake Pan (includes spider mini cake pan)
1. Make cake. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake cake and allow to cool according to pan package directions. Wash and dry skeleton cake pan according to the package directions.
2. Make candy bones. Melt 10 ounces of white Candy Melts candy according to packaging directions. Use melted white candy and cut disposable decorating bag to fill skeleton bone indents on front side of pan. Allow to cool in refrigerator until set 5 to 10 minutes. Remove candy bones and place onto imprints on cake.
3. Make candy spider web. Melt 5 ounces of vibrant green Candy Melts candy according to package directions. Use melted vibrant green candy, tip 2 and cut disposable decorating bag to pipe random spider webs on cake.
Spider & Web Candy Plaque:
1. Make web candy plaque. Melt 24 ounces of orange and 6 ounces of vibrant green Candy Melts candy, separately, according to package directions. Pour melted orange candy into spider web cake pan. Tap gently to release air bubbles. Allow to cool in refrigerator 25 to 30 minutes. Unmold.
2. Make spider candy plaque. Pour melted vibrant green candy into spider cake pan until half full. Allow to cool in refrigerator until set 10 to 15 minutes. Unmold.
3. Decorate spider web. Use melted vibrant green candy and cut disposable decorating bag to fill in spider web imprint on plaque. Melt 1 ounce of light cocoa Candy Melts candy according to package directions. Use melted light cocoa candy and a cut disposable decorating bag to pipe dot eyes on candy spider and to attach candy spider on web.
Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
For more treat, decoration and craft ideas, visit www.joann.com.