Provided by Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center
In recognition of National Lung Cancer Screening (LCS) Day, Sentara Health will offer lung cancer screenings on Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023, at Sentara Lake Ridge, 12825 Minnieville Road, Lake Ridge.
“By extending screening opportunities to Saturday, Sentara hopes to serve people who may not be able to take time off of work during the week for what could be a lifesaving procedure,” said Jeff Joyner, president of Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center (SNVMC), whose Woodbridge campus is located four miles from Sentara Lake Ridge.
According to the American Cancer Society National Lung Cancer Roundtable, lung cancer is the second most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women. Yet, it is the leading cause of cancer-related death by far. In 2020, lung cancer accounted for more deaths than breast, colorectal, and prostate cancers combined.
Lung cancer is often fatal because most cases are diagnosed at a late stage when treatments are generally less effective. As with all forms of cancer, early detection is necessary to allow for the best outcomes.
“National Lung Cancer Screening Day was created as a catalyst to make screening more common throughout the country and help people understand how important lung screening is, particularly for those who may be at risk,” said SNVMC Oncology Service Line Director Heather Causseaux. “Sentara is proud to be participating in National Lung Cancer Screening Day as part of our organization’s mission to improve health every day.”
Tips on Who Should Get Screened:
- Adults aged 50 to 80 years.
- Individuals who have at least a 20 pack-year smoking history and currently smoke.
- Smokers who have quit within the past 15 years.
- Screening should be discontinued once an individual reaches age 80, has not smoked for 15 years, or develops a health problem that may limit life expectancy or the ability or willingness to have curative lung cancer surgery.
To Schedule a Screening:
- Contact your doctor to see if you quality for a lung cancer screening.
- Have your doctor write an order for the lung cancer screening.
- Call the Sentara Cancer Network Resource Center to schedule an appointment while space is available, 703-523-1599.
National LCS Day is sponsored by the American Cancer Society National Lung Cancer Roundtable (ACS NLCRT), GO2 for Lung Cancer (GO2), Radiology Health Equity Coalition (RHEC), and American College of Radiology (ACR).
In acknowledgment of National LCS Day falling on the Veterans Day holiday, Nov. 11, event organizers have partnered with the Veterans Administration on this campaign in order to salute our Veterans by increasing outreach and awareness to our veteran population, in turn saving more lives.
Sentara CarePlex in Hampton Roads will also offer lung cancer screenings on Nov. 11 as part of National LCS Day.
Find additional Lung Cancer Screening locations by visiting the American College of Radiology website.
To learn more about Sentara’s cancer screenings and other related services, please contact the Sentara Cancer Network Resource Center, at 703-523-1599 or SCNRC@sentara.com or visit Sentara.com/screenmylungs.