Provided by Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center
Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center is celebrating a decade with Sentara Healthcare. Ten years ago, the community hospital joined Sentara with a goal to expand services and meet the growing needs of the
Before joining Sentara Healthcare, the then-Potomac Hospital considered 29 different healthcare organizations before finding the Virginia-based system with a mission similar to its own.
“Sentara Healthcare is very well known for its quality, its leadership, and its medical said,” said Kathie
Johnson, President, Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center. “Our team is committed to taking care of patients and doing the right thing for patients, families and the community. It was a natural fit.”
In 2009, Sentara pledged to invest $110 million in capital projects to remodel and expand healthcare services over ten years. The organization has made an additional $92 million in contributions to a local community health foundation. Sentara met the $110 million commitment by 2015, exceeding promises pledged during the acquisition now with over $140 million in capital projects. Sentara Healthcare has introduced a number of new initiatives to advance healthcare in the area. They’ve invested in new services, advanced technologies, access to care, workforce development, recruiting staff and physicians, and capital improvement projects.
Highlights from the past 10 years include:
- Introduction and implementation of electronic medical records (EMR.) The system provides consistency for providers and patients.
- Established Sentara Heart & Vascular Center featuring two cardiac catheterization lab, interventional radiology lab, electrophysiology lab, and cardiovascular diagnostic testing. Milestones include introduction of Micra Pacemaker, the world’s smallest pacemaker, WaveLinQ, for endovascular AV fistula creation, and Impella, the world’s smallest heart pump
- The creation of Sentara Lake Ridge, a state-of-the-art outpatient campus offering easy access to Emergency Care, Advanced Imaging, Ambulatory Surgical Services and Medical Office building on Minnieville Road. The services at Sentara Lake Ridge have consistently ranked nationally for patient satisfaction.
- Redesign and renovation of the Emergency Department at the main hospital, featuring the launch of Focused and Acute Care tracks to allow for streamlined patient care. Patient satisfaction scores have increased by 20%.
- Construction and opening of the $40 million Surgical Services building. The surgery pavilion offers nine surgical suites with dedicated nurse navigators for oncology, orthopedics/neurosurgery, and urology. The center features state-of-the-art technologies such as da Vinci ® Xi for robotic surgeries, Aquablation Therapy, and XOFT® brachytherapy, to name a few.
- Expansion and renovation of the Women’s Health Center family birthing services, featuring a partnership with Children’s National Health System. Services include 24/7 neonatology services and expansion of neonatal intensive care (NICU).
- Sentara Wound Healing Center introduced two hyperbaric oxygen chambers for life-changing therapy to increase the amount of oxygen blood can carry – assisting in the fight against infections, promotes healing.
- The Sentara Cancer Network made significant investments in cancer screening and survivorship programs for the community to include 3D Mobile Mammography services, Low Dose CT Lung Screening, dedicated women’s imaging centers, and the Sentara Cancer Network Resource Center. The center is a specialized and centralized resource for patients and the community, which offers compassionate care, coordinated access to a network of specialists, state-of-the-art technologies, treatments, clinical trials, cutting-edge innovations, support groups and education programs.
“Our goal has always been to be the provider of choice for the communities we serve,” said Johnson. “Sentara Healthcare helps us Improve Health Every Day and we’re looking forward to what the next decade may bring.”