Provided by the National Park Service
The National Park Service (NPS) wants to hear from you about its proposed plan to improve trail systems and expand trail use at Prince William Forest Park.
With more than 360,000 annual visitors, Prince William Forest Park is an increasingly popular destination for hiking, biking, camping and other activities in the Greater Washington area. The NPS has proposed a plan to improve the park’s trail systems, while continuing to protect park resources including wildlife, plants, streams and archaeological sites.
Under the proposed plan the NPS would make the following improvements at Prince William Forest Park:
- Create approximately 13 miles of new trails.
- Adjust the routes of more than 29 miles of existing trails to improve trail connectivity and to protect streams, plants and archaeological sites.
- Create more than four miles of new trails that are accessible to people with disabilities.
- Increase the number of trail routes suitable for horseback riding and/or mountain biking.
- Improve connections with local and regional trail systems beyond the park.
- Expand parking at trailheads to provide better trail access on the northern and eastern edges of the park.
Public participation is vital to the planning process. The National Park Service developed the proposed Comprehensive Trails Plan and Environmental Assessment with the help of public input received in spring 2018. The public is invited to comment on this proposed plan from March 18, 2019 to April 18, 2019. To provide comments online or get additional information, please visit the NPS planning website at parkplanning.nps.gov/prwitrailplan.
If you prefer to mail your comments, make sure they are postmarked by April 18, 2019 to receive consideration. Mail comments to the following address:
Superintendent/Attn: PRWI Trail Plan, National Park Service, Prince William Forest Park, 18100 Park Headquarters Road, Triangle, VA 22172
Please note: Before including an address, phone number, email address or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment including your personal identifying information may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.