Provided by Prince William County Schools (PWCS)
As season two of high school athletics gets underway in PWCS, more people will now be able to watch these games in-person.
Governor Ralph Northam announced that he’s allowing up to 250 spectators at outdoor events, which includes outdoor high school sporting events, as long as social distancing can be maintained.
PWCS must abide by the Governor’s Executive Order 72 limiting:
- Indoor spectators to 25 persons
- Outdoor gatherings to 250 total spectators
Other key points related to the increase of spectators allowed at our high school outdoor facilities:
- Senior families, who have either a contest participant or performer (student athletes, cheerleaders, dance teams, and pep bands), will be prioritized for spectator seat allocations at their home games.
- Rotation of seat allotments may be used to provide every family an opportunity to attend as spectators at some point during the season.
- To further assist families, we will continue to provide the NFHS Pixellot system to allow for remote viewing of events, (subscription fees apply).
- PWCS high schools have agreed to give all seat allocations to home teams at their venues. Visiting teams will not be allotted seats for away games.
- Brentsville District High School’s membership in the 3B Region, Northwest District creates a unique set of circumstances that will require them to work with their district partners, in the spirit of the principles outlined here and will communicate with their families about the plans for seats allocations.
- All spectators will be required to follow PWCS health protocols developed in alignment to the Governor’s Executive Order 72 and in collaboration with the Prince William County Health District. The Governor’s Executive Order 72 states that “spectators must wear face coverings at all times and ten feet of physical distance must be maintained between spectators who are not family members, as defined in section II, subsection D, paragraph 2.”
- As indicated in this Executive Order 72, face coverings must be worn over the nose and mouth at all times.
- High school sporting events are not open to the general public at this time.
PWCS high schools will be communicating directly their planned operations at home games. Please contact the Director of School Activities at your student’s building with questions.