Contributed by Prince William County
$1.148 Tax Rate a Step in the Right Direction
WOODBRIDGE, VA… Today, the Prince William Board of County Supervisors adopted the Fiscal Year 2015 County Budget. Supervisor Frank J. Principi ultimately voted for the budget even though he believed it did not do enough to address the many critical unmet needs in the County. “While the approved tax rate of $1.148 does not provide enough revenue to fund all of the critical unmet needs identified, it does makes a down payment on underwriting some of the core local government services that our residents rely on every day,” said Supervisor Principi.
The critical unmet needs addressed in the fiscal year 2015 budget include:
- 25 police officers and 11 firefighters to keep our communities safe and to make significant strides in fire suppression and life support response times.
- An additional $6.1 million, hopefully targeted at helping to reduce classroom sizes and in so doing, provide a world class education that we have promised our children.
- $1.5 million in sports field improvements to provide additional field capacity for our youth sports leagues, including lighting of two turf fields at Veterans Park and turf and lights at Woodbridge Middle School.
- A three percent increase to non-profit organizations in our Community Partners Program.
- Expansion of the Adult Detention Center currently 156% over capacity.
- Construction of two new libraries to be built in Montclair and Gainesville, while keeping Potomac & Central Libraries open on Sundays.
“I believe that for the first time in a long time, cooperation and compromise ruled the day. I believe this budget will pass with bipartisan support and we did not see a race to the bottom with the tax rate, nor did we see an unreasonable tax burden placed upon our residents. This budget represents a small victory for all of the residents of Prince William County,” said Supervisor Principi.
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Prince William Living Inc. and it’s staff make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact [email protected]