By Frank Vaerewyck
“Oh, you’re a Firefighter; do you know so-and-so?” Sometimes you do; more often than not, you don’t. For years, I would ask what department they worked for, or I would say, “Yeah I think so, but I know so many people it’s ridiculous.” The truth of the matter is, though we tend to know the people in our department, and a few from classes or other functions, there really is no master book of Firefighters that we get upon earning the title that introduces us to every firefighter out there.
This one time, in Band Camp…No, seriously, a little old lady asked me what I did, and when I said that I was a Firefighter, she immediately asked if I knew someone I’d never heard of. I apologized and told her that I did not. That’s when she said, in her cute old lady voice, “Well, that shouldn’t surprise me. He is a firefighter in Minneapolis.” Well, there you go! We were having this conversation in Winchester, Virginia, and I chuckled and shook my head, with a grin on my face.
Being a Firefighter is the best job in the world, and there are a lot of firefighters out there. Paid Firefighters, volunteer Firefighters, strictly structural Firefighters, wildland Firefighters, aircraft Firefighters, you name it; we meet many in this line of work. Some we remember, others we can’t forget, but when we meet each other, there is an instant connection, a kindred brotherhood or sisterhood that transcends all boundaries. Who knows, maybe one day I will have the pleasure of meeting the Firefighter that little old lady thought so much of, and “That’s Bringing the Firehouse Home!”
Smooth Cooked Bar-B-Que Chicken
Makes 4 Servings
- 4 Large Chicken Breasts
- 1 Green Apple
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinager
- 1 half Sweet Vidalia Onion
- Bar-B-Que Seasoning to taste
- Habanero seasoning to taste
- After rinsing, place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Place on high and cook for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, slice onion and apple and mix into chicken, shredding chicken. Add apple cider vinegar and cook for 1 hour more.
- Add Bar-B-Que seasoning and Harbanero seasoning to taste, mix well and cook for 1 more hour. (Your favorite Bar-B-Que sauce can be added; this is your meal, so do what’s right for you.)
- Plate on your favorite roll with some banging slaw and ENJOY!