By Frank E. Vaerewijck
Summer brings out the people, and as call volumes increase in most localities, so does the need for quick meals that can be reheated, and lots of sleep.
During the slower season, many of us enjoy larger meals that may be a little time consuming to make, but in the busy season, it’s quick simple meals that are easy to reheat. In large systems, like big cities where they’re always busy, these quick simple meals are a staple. I am constantly looking for or trying out new recipes that will work for a quick fix.
My station is in a vacation resort area that is REAL busy during the summer. In the winter months (what we call the off season) we may have 500 residents in town any given weekend, but the “during the week” numbers are probably closer to 300. The in-season numbers, typically starting in May and running through late September, swell to closer to 65,000. Yes, that’s right, 300-500 swelling to 65,000 in just weeks. Now going into season, and coming off season, many of the vacation rental properties are booked at a little cheaper rate, so our residency number during those times still runs around 2,500-3,000. So as you can imagine, as our call volume increases, our time to prepare, cook, and eat meals decreases.
We catch naps when we can, and pray for quiet nights, with enough time to sit down together, enjoy some brother/sisterhood time, and a good meal. We love what we do, and wouldn’t have it any other way, and “That’s Bringing the Firehouse Home!”
Breakfast pie is an easy, busy station meal ready in just 15 minutes!
- 12 eggs
- 1 pound Bacon or Sausage
- 1/8 cup milk
- Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
- 4 cups peppers & onions stir fry mix
- 2 cups favorite cheese
- 2 pie crusts
- 2 pats butter melted
- Cook bacon or sausage in pan thoroughly. Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix eggs well in a bowl. Part cheese 1/2 -1/2
- Drain grease from meat, return meat to pan, add eggs, milk, and peppers & onion stir fry mix, sea salt & pepper. Cook until eggs are fluffy, add 1/2 of parted cheese and mix well.
- Line pie pan with 1 pie crust. Place 1/4 of remaining parted cheese in the bottom pie crust.
- Fill pie crust with egg mix, even out in crust. Top with remaining crust. Brush crust with melted butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top baked breakfast pie with remaining cheese directly on crust, and place back in hot oven with oven now off, until melted.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes, cut into eight equal pie slices, and enjoy!