‘Tis the Season For A Clean House
Before Guests Arrive
- Make a Good Entrance Your entryway is the first thing your guests will see so make sure it gives a positive first impression:
- Update worn or tattered mats
- Shine the door knob
- Make sure “landing strips” are clutter-free
- Provide hangars
- Dust light fixtures and replace any missing bulbs
- Restroom Confidential
- Keep baking soda, a sponge and an old toothbrush handy for quick cleaning
- Improvise by shining metal fixtures with toothpaste
- Suck It Up Even if you only have five minutes to do a quick once-over, a little vacuuming is better than no vacuuming at all. If you have 10 minutes, go over the room with a magnetic duster, then vacuum.
During the Festivities
Help Guests Help You Make it easier for your guests to avoid stains and awkward moments by planning ahead:
- Scatter coasters
- Stash a spot cleaning kit in every room of the party to quickly clean up stains as they happen
- Have a kids table with a mat or disposable table cover underneath it
- Avoid sticky foods if kids are attending
- Shine on Put silver or silver plated pieces you need polished in an aluminum pan or a pan lined with aluminum foil and sprinkle liberally with baking soda. Then pour boiling water over everything and let it sit. The tarnish will magically float right off your silver.
- Full Steam Good wine glasses should not be washed in the dishwasher, but if you want to give them a spot-free sparkle in a hurry, fill them with steam from your kettle, then buff with a lint-free towel.
- Lipstick Lift On fabric, try blotting with rubbing alcohol, gentle dishwashing detergent or ammonia (make sure you’re working in a well-ventilated space), then blot with cold water. Spritzing hairspray on the stain can also work. Consider doing a swatch test first, just to be sure. On cups and stemware, rub the smudge with salt to remove the stain.
For these and more tips on cleaning for holiday guests, contact Merry Maids of Prince William, Fauquier & Culpeper Counties at 703-584-4086 or visit www.merrymaids.com/8/woodbridge-4404 or www.facebook.com/MerryMaidsNorthernPiedmont.