Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Greetings, Prince William – the Community Feeding Taskforce Food Hotline has an urgent need for Spanish speaking volunteers who can assist staff on weekday afternoons with answering calls to the Hotline during the pandemic. Duties include answering calls from those in need of food, redirecting callers to a food pantry closest to where they live and arranging home deliveries for shut-ins. Training is provided; however, volunteers will work from home and must have their own computer and Internet access. To register, please create an account at volunteerprincewilliam.org, then go into the opportunity to Respond to the opportunity. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
- Here’s a unique way to donate food and fight hunger! Manassas Hunger & Homeless Outreach Ministries is holding a Virtual Food Drive through Nov. 30 to benefit Manassas Mobile Home Park. Residents of this community have been severely impacted by the loss of jobs and income due to COVID-19 and your donation will help to replenish their community food pantry. Please visit fooddriveonline.org/manassasfoodpantry/MHHO to learn how you can help.
- Mark your calendars! Northern Virginia Veterans Association has taken on the role of planning, organizing and running Wreaths Across America at Quantico National Cemetery Dec. 16 through 19. Help is needed this four-day period to participate in wreath laying, buying wreaths or volunteering to support this enormous logistical event. This is a great opportunity for the whole family to Remember, Honor, and Teach about our veterans and their sacrifices.All health precautionary measures will be observed. To volunteer, sign up at signupgenius.com/go/10c0d48a9a82cabffc43-wreaths. Please email [email protected] for more information.
- The Salvation Army is recruiting volunteers for their Red Kettle Campaign, a long-standing holiday tradition that raises funds to benefit local families and individuals in need. Volunteers choose their locations and time slots and then ring the iconic Salvation Army Bell! All ages welcome; those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult age 18+ at all times. Great for groups, families, young children and older adults! COVID-19 safety measures include a mask requirement and sanitizing supplies (provided) to keep the kettle and bell clean. Please visit registertoring.com/ to sign up, call 703.580.8991 or email Angela at [email protected].
COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities:
- The Community Feeding Task Force urgently needs muscular volunteers ages 18-55 on weekdays to either pack nonperishable boxes or help move USDA boxes that weigh between 30-40 pounds to be redistributed to over 70 local food pantries. This will be held in the central food warehouse located in Manassas; volunteers should be prepared for considerable lifting of boxes. A few hours a week will help to deliver food to vulnerable families in our local community! Please visit volunteerprincewilliam.org and visit the organization called VPW-COVID 19 Response to view the opportunities. To register, you must create an account on our website, then go into the opportunity to Respond to the opportunity. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
- Medical Reserve Corps Support your local health department and your community during a public health emergency! Volunteers are needed to support several missions, including public health education and outreach, disease investigation, vaccine clinics, and more! Medical experience is not required; they have roles for everyone! Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Volunteers must be 18 years of age, complete minimum training, and pass a state background check to serve. Please fill out an application at vamrc.org. Questions? Please email Amy at [email protected] for more information.
- American Red Cross needs volunteers to be Shelter Service Associates in the event of a disaster during COVID-19. Volunteers work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event, completing tasks necessary for shelter operations and providing assistance for disaster clients. Duties include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter. Please email [email protected] for more information.
- Prince William Food Rescue (PWFR) needs Food Rescue Heroes as the program is super busy delivering food to both ACTS and SERVE homebound senior citizens. Volunteers are urgently needed countywide! Home food deliveries are no contact and follow social distancing guidelines. PWFR is an app-based program enabling volunteers to pick up viable, close to expiration food from supermarkets, restaurants, food pantries, etc., and then deliver it to a program that can immediately use the food. Just an hour of your time will do much to provide relief for food insecure families in our community! More info on PWFR may be found at pwfoodrescue.org/. Please contact Shirley at [email protected] or call 703.441.8606 ext. 212 for more information.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at 703.369.5292. or visit at volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community and Happy Thanksgiving to all!