Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Prince William Food Rescue (PWFR) needs Food Rescue Heroes, as the program is super busy delivering food to both ACTS and SERVE homebound senior citizens. Volunteers are urgently needed countywide! Home food deliveries are no contact and follow social distancing guidelines. PWFR is an app-based program enabling volunteers to pick up viable, close to expiration food from supermarkets, restaurants, food pantries, etc., and then deliver it to a program that can immediately use the food. Just an hour of your time will do much to provide relief for food insecure families in our community! More info on PWFR may be found at pwfoodrescue.org/. Please contact Shirley at [email protected] or call 703.441.8606 ext. 212 for more information.
- Mark your calendars for the DEA National Prescription Drug Take Back Day Oct. 24, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Collection sites will be at both Novant medical centers in Manassas and Haymarket, along with Sentara Lake Ridge. This is a wonderful way to get those unused and expired meds safely out of your medicine cabinet where they could fall into the wrong hands. Visit takebackday.dea.gov/ to learn more.
- The staff at ACTS has a big need for volunteers to help sort and organize the mountains of donations received at their Thrift Donation Center. Families and groups of seven or fewer welcome! Sorted items will be placed for sale in the ACTS Thrift Store where proceeds directly fund ACTS programs. All volunteers must complete and submit the online volunteer registration form found at actspwc.org. Please email [email protected] or [email protected] to learn more.
- Halloween is almost here, and Historic Manassas is hosting a Mask-querade Ball on Oct. 31 at Harris Pavilion. Volunteers are needed to work a four-hour shift as set up crew, thermometer readers, ticket sales and check-in, game attendants and costume contest judging. Masks must be worn; volunteers can come in costume. Please email [email protected] for more information on this fun event.
- Here’s a unique way to donate food and fight hunger! Manassas Hunger & Homeless Outreach Ministries is holding a Virtual Food Drive through Nov. 30 to benefit Manassas Mobile Home Park. Residents of this community have been severely impacted by the loss of jobs and income due to COVID-19 and your donation will help to replenish their community food pantry. Please visit fooddriveonline.org/manassasfoodpantry/MHHO to learn how you can help.
- The Salvation Army is recruiting volunteers for their Red Kettle Campaign, a long-standing holiday tradition that raises funds to benefit local families and individuals in need. Volunteers choose their locations and time slots and then ring the iconic Salvation Army Bell! All ages welcome; those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult age 18+ at all times. Great for groups, families, young children and older adults! COVID-19 safety measures include a mask requirement and sanitizing supplies (provided) to keep the kettle and bell clean. Visit registertoring.com/ to sign up, call 703.580.8991 or email [email protected].
- Save the date for the upcoming Semper K9 Hero Hike, being held virtually Veterans Day week. Run a 5K or walk a mile in honor or memory of a hero! Registration for ages 13 and up is $35, free for ages 12 and under. Please visit semperk9.org/herohike/ for more information.
- If it’s fall, Operation Turkey at SERVE is just around the corner! Volunteers age 16+ are needed Nov. 16 to 21 to help sort/organize food, assemble food packages and help unload surplus food at SERVE. Be prepared for prolonged standing and lifting up to 20 pounds. Hurry, slots fill up quickly! Visit nvfs.volunteerhub.com/lp/opturkey/ to create your account and sign up. Email [email protected] to learn more.
- Cold weather will be here soon and the staff at SERVE is looking for a self-starter volunteer Coat Closet & Donations Assistant to help with their upcoming coat drive. Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and be prepared to lift up to 15 pounds. Duties include sort/organize donations, assist families with locating proper sized coats, ensure rules are followed and ensure cleanliness of coat closet. Volunteers must wear a face mask, submit to a temperature check and complete health questionnaire at the start of each shift. Please contact Karen at [email protected] for more information.
COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities:
- Medical Reserve Corps Support your local health department and your community during a public health emergency! Volunteers are needed to support several missions, including public health education and outreach, disease investigation, vaccine clinics, and more! Medical experience is not required; they have roles for everyone! Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Volunteers must be 18 years of age, complete minimum training, and pass a state background check to serve. Please fill out an application at vamrc.org. Questions? Please email Amy at [email protected] for more information.
- ACTS and the Community Feeding Taskforce (CFT) are in urgent need of Volunteer Delivery Drivers (non-CDL) to deliver food daily from the CFT Warehouse in Manassas to multiple food distribution sites. Volunteers must be able to maneuver pallets using a pallet jack and assist with loading the truck from the CFT Warehouse and then unloading pallets at the destination. Volunteers should be able to lift 40 pounds. Must have a valid driver’s license; non-CDL is okay. Background Check required. All ACTS Volunteers must first complete and submit the online volunteer application found at actspwc.org. Please contact Shirley at [email protected] to learn more.
- American Red Cross needs volunteers to be Shelter Service Associates in the event of a disaster during COVID-19. Volunteers work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event, completing tasks necessary for shelter operations and providing assistance for disaster clients. Duties include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter. Please email [email protected] for more information.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at 703.369.5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.