Provided by Volunteer Prince William
The Community Feeding Taskforce needs bilingual volunteers who can answer calls to the Food Helpline. Shifts are Mondays and Wednesdays, 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 12:30 to 3:00 p.m. Bilingual skills in Spanish are required. Duties include answering calls from those in need of food, redirecting callers to a food pantry closest to where they live and arranging home deliveries for shut-ins. Training is provided; however, volunteers will work from home and must have their own computer and Internet access. To register, please create an account at volunteerprincewilliam.org, then go into the opportunity to Respond to that opportunity. Questions? Contact Bonnie at 571.292.5302.
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is hosting the 5th Annual Hike for Hope on June 12 at Claude Moore Park-Pavilion 2 in Sterling. This is a fun event which will let you get outdoors to enjoy fresh air, get some exercise and support a great cause! Staggered start times are available to keep everyone safe. Visit bit.ly/3odaehj to register and learn more. Email Chair.Hike4Hope@gmail.com for more information. Save the Date for the Manassas Out of the Darkness Walk Sept. 19 at Harris Pavilion! Visit afsp.org/Manassas for details.
- Historic Manassas is gearing up for their annual Manassas Heritage Railway Festival June 5 in Old Town Manassas. Volunteers age 16+ are needed 7:00a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to help with such duties as directing vendors, taking tickets for the small train ride, wiping down the small train after each ride and making sure masks are being worn. It’s a fun way for teens to earn some service hours! Please contact Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Historic Manassas is also holding the Manassas Jazz Festival June 19 at the Manassas Museum Lawn. Volunteers age 18+ are needed beginning at 7:00 a.m. to help with directions, tickets, ID check, hand out wine glasses and pour beer. It’s a fun way to help, enjoy the outdoor weather and listen to some great jazz! Please visit bit.ly/2RankQq to sign up; email email@example.com to learn more.
- House of Mercy is hosting a Tushies & Toes Drive May 21 and 22 to collect new diapers, socks and underwear for children, teens and adults. It’s a super easy drive-thru event where you drive to their Donations Center at 8170 Flannery C., Manassas, drop off your donation and drive away with their thanks ringing in your ears! Please visit houseofmercyva.org/underwear-drive/, call 703.659.1636 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Are you interested in gardening and supporting wildlife? Prince William Conservation Alliance is looking for dedicated volunteers who can join them most Saturdays from now until fall. Each Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon, is spent weeding, pruning and watering plants to make sure the Wildlife Garden at Merrimac Farm looks terrific for their visitors and animal friends. Families are welcome! Volunteers should wear long pants, long socks and sturdy shoes. Bring a smile, a hat, a bag lunch and bug spray! Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Calling all shutterbugs! Prince William Conservation Alliance is sponsoring a “Spring is for Hope” Photo Contest. Dust off those cameras, get outdoors and start snapping pictures of how Spring is a time for hope! Photos must be taken within Prince William County; the deadline for submission is May 20, 2021. Please visit pwconserve.org/photo2021.html for categories and other contest details. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We’re Back! RSVP’s VETS Program which provides transportation for veterans and their spouses to medical appointments is starting back up, and volunteer drivers age “55 or better” are needed! Volunteers must be at least 55 years old and successfully complete both a criminal and driving record check. It’s a wonderful way to give back and say “thank you” to our veterans for all they’ve done! Please email email@example.com or call 571.292.5307 to learn more.
- SERVE needs volunteers age 16+ in their Hunger Resource Center on Friday afternoons, 12:45 to 4:00 p.m. Volunteers will assist with packing food for distribution to clients as well as helping unload, sort and organize donated food as well cleaning/maintaining the warehouse. You’ll feel great as you help clients obtain healthy, nutritious food for their families! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities:
- Spanish speakers! Prince William County Office of Emergency Management needs one to two volunteers age 18+ on weekdays at the Manassas Mall COVID vaccination site, located near Uptown Alley in the mall. Hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday. Volunteers will act as English to Spanish translators between residents and County staff. Fluency in both English and Spanish are required. This is an ongoing need, and you’ll feel great helping those with limited English understand the critical information they need to receive their COVID vaccine! Please email email@example.com for more information on how you can help.
- Medical Reserve Corps Support your local health department and your community during a public health emergency! Volunteers are needed to support several missions, including public health education and outreach, disease investigation, vaccine clinics, and more! Medical experience is not required; they have roles for everyone! Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Volunteers must be 18 years of age, complete minimum training, and pass a state background check to serve. Please fill out an application at vamrc.org. Questions? Please email Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- American Red Cross needs volunteers to be Shelter Service Associates in the event of a disaster during COVID-19. Volunteers work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event, completing tasks necessary for shelter operations and providing assistance for disaster clients. Duties include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter. Please email email@example.com for more information.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at 703.369.5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.