Provided by Volunteer Prince William
June 19 looks to be a busy day with three opportunities for volunteering available:
- Advocates for Abused and Abandoned Pets (A3P) is holding Pets & ‘Vettes on June 19, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at 17983 Dumfries Shopping Plaza in Dumfries. Volunteers age 18+ are needed to help set up/tear down, oversee children’s games and assist with traffic flow. Volunteers will also help with pet water stations, empty trash as needed, and distribute water and sodas. If you love helping homeless animals and seeing some cool cars, this event has your name on it! Please email Polly at email@example.com or call 540.212.9878 for more information.
- Historic Manassas is holding the Manassas Jazz Festival June 19 at the Manassas Museum Lawn. Volunteers age 18+ are needed beginning at 7:00 a.m. to help with directions, tickets, ID check, hand out wine glasses and pour beer. You get to support the event, enjoy the outdoor weather, and listen to some great jazz! Please visit bit.ly/2RankQq to sign up; email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Our friends at Keep Prince William Beautiful need volunteers age 16+ for their June Community Litter Cleanup on June 19, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Volunteers aged 5 through 15 are welcome but must volunteer with an adult. June’s focus will be on Graham Park Road in Dumfries. Volunteers will meet at Ginn Memorial Park (located at 3876 Graham Park Rd.) and spread out from there to remove litter from public spaces in the community. Parking available on location, and please wear a mask at check-in. KPWB staff will provide all supplies; hand sanitizer and a first aid kit will be available. Please wear weather-appropriate clothes and close-toed shoes. Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated and lots of smiles! Please sign up at volunteer.kab.org/opportunity/a2a4M0000010M9zQAE, contact Sean at email@example.com for more information.
- Summer is here, we’re opening back up and K9s Serving Vets has t-shirts and tank tops for sale! Show your support for our veterans and four-legged veterans by purchasing a shirt and wearing it with pride at your summer get-togethers! All funds raised go to support this organization which helps veterans partner with service dogs! Visit customink.com/fundraising/summerteesntanks to view the shirts, email Kira at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Are you interested in gardening and supporting wildlife? Prince William Conservation Alliance is looking for dedicated volunteers who can join them most Saturdays from now until fall. Each Saturday, 9:30 a.m. t0 12:00 noon, is spent weeding, pruning, and watering plants to make sure the Wildlife Garden at Merrimac Farm looks terrific for their visitors and animal friends. Families are welcome! Volunteers should wear long pants, long socks, and sturdy shoes. Bring a smile, a hat, a bag lunch, and bug spray! Please email email@example.com for more information.
- PWC Department of Public Works announces the week of June 17 is National Waste and Recycling Workers Week. Annually, communities across the nation are encouraged to take a moment during this special week and show appreciation for the men and women in the solid waste management industry. These workers, particularly, trash and recycling collectors keep neighborhoods and streets safe and clean. Please visit wasterecyclingworkersweek.org for ideas on how you can thank these hard-working folks for their service.
- We’re Back! RSVP’s VETS Program which provides transportation for veterans and their spouses to medical appointments is starting back up, and volunteer drivers age “55 or better” are needed! Volunteers must be at least 55 years old and successfully complete both a criminal and driving record check. It’s a wonderful way to give back and say “thank you” to our veterans for all they’ve done! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 571.292.5307 to learn more.
- The SERVE Hunger Resource Center in Manassas will be conducting their Annual Inventory June 30, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Volunteers age 16+ are needed to help warehouse staff take a complete inventory of food and supplies in their 8,000 square foot warehouse. Up to 25 volunteers are needed for each shift. Be prepared to do moderate lifting up to 35lbs. This is a great one-time opportunity which lets volunteers get in some service hours as well as help SERVE to improve its food assistance program to the 650+ households who visit each month for help! Please email Annie at email@example.com for more information.
COVID-19 Volunteer Opportunities:
- Medical Reserve Corps Support your local health department and your community during a public health emergency! Volunteers are needed to support several missions, including public health education and outreach, disease investigation, vaccine clinics, and more! Medical experience is not required; they have roles for everyone! Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. Volunteers must be 18 years of age, complete minimum training, and pass a state background check to serve. Please fill out an application at vamrc.org. Questions? Please email Amy at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- American Red Cross needs volunteers to be Shelter Service Associates in the event of a disaster during COVID-19. Volunteers work in person in a Red Cross shelter before, during and/or after a disaster event, completing tasks necessary for shelter operations and providing assistance for disaster clients. Duties include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information or other areas within a shelter. Please email email@example.com for more information.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at 703.369.5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community!