Provided by Volunteer Prince William
This week’s volunteer opportunities in greater Prince William, provided by Volunteer Prince William:
Festivals & Walks
- The Prince William County Eatz & Brew event is Saturday Oct. 13, from 12:00-7:00 p. m. at Manassas Mall. Come enjoy live music, special food vendors, giveaways, contests, games and kid’s activities. This will be held in the parking lot in front of Sears and promises to be fun for the whole family.
- Prince William Recycles Day is on Saturday, Oct. 13 from 10:00 a. m.-2;00 p. m. Volunteers age 12 and up are needed to help with all the fun activities. This is a great teen project! Please contact Keep Prince William Beautiful at (571) 285-3772 or firstname.lastname@example.org for all the latest info.
- Mark your calendars for the Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Saturday, Oct. 20 in Old Town Manassas. Volunteers are needed for setup, refreshments, advocacy, finish line brigade and route monitoring. You can sign up online at bit.ly/ALZWalkManassas or email email@example.com to learn more.
- The Greater Washington Heart Walk needs volunteers on Nov. 3 on the Mall as course marshal, set-up, sponsor assistance and more. Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Please register online: greaterwashingtonheartwalk.org and click on detailed info for all the specifics.
Outdoor Volunteer Opportunities
- The Cape Fear Volunteer Center in Wilmington, North Carolina is coordinating activities to clean up from Hurricane Florence. If you are interested in clearing debris, serving food, transporting supplies, answering phones and mucking out basements, please register on their website: capefearvolunteercenter.org. PLEASE DO NOT SELF DEPLOY! Keep the first responders safe and wait to be called. This is going to be a very long recovery.
- Prince William Conservation Alliance needs volunteers for the continuing buffer restoration on Minnieville Road on Oct. 20 from 10:00 a. m.-12;00 p. m.. Please RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meals on Wheels needs volunteers to deliver noon meals to homebound seniors throughout the community. These meals are delivered Monday-Friday, no weekends, holidays or during periods of inclement weather. It takes about two hours to do your route and certainly can pick you day. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the greater area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Virginia Service invites you to nominate your favorite volunteer for the 2019 Governor’s Award in Volunteering Excellence. The categories include adult, youth, senior, family, faith-based organization, educational institution, community organization, small business and corporation. Nominations are due by Dec. 15. Please visit virginiaservice.virginia.gov for all the specifics.
- Youth for Tomorrow is looking for male mentors to share their time and talent with a young man. This promises to be a rewarding few hours per month, providing male youth with a positive role model to emulate. Please fill out the volunteer application at youthfortomorrow.org.
- Soroptimists International of Manassas is hosting Family Night Out events at local restaurants this fall. Visit Jukebox Diner in Manassas through Nov. 22 and The Bone in Old Town Manassas Oct. 25. A portion of your receipt will help this organization with their scholarship fund. It’s a great way to get out of fixing dinner and support a worthy cause! Please email email@example.com for more information.
- Give the gift of literacy to local adults! Literacy Volunteers of America-Prince William is seeking volunteer tutors. Previous experience is not necessary. The next Tutor Training Workshop is Nov. 3, 8:45 a. m.-4:00 p. m. and Nov. 17, 9:00 a. m.-12:00 p. m. Attendance both days is required. Please register at (703) 670-5702 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.