Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Each week, Volunteer Prince William compiles a list of the volunteer opportunities in greater Prince William. Here are just a few of them:
Walks & Festivals
- You don’t want to miss the Walk to End Alzheimer’s on Saturday, Oct. 20 in Historic Downtown Manassas. Volunteers are needed for setup, refreshments, advocacy, finish line brigade and route monitoring. You can sign up online: bit.ly/ALZWalkManassas or email [email protected] to learn more.
- Historic Dumfries is having their Ghost Walks every Saturday in October from 7:00-9:00 p. m. Hear stories during the outdoor guided tour, enjoy spooky mountain cider and lots more fun. The Weems-Botts Museum Annex is located at 3944 Cameron Street, Dumfries. Sounds like great fun for the entire family.
- The Greater Washington Heart Walk needs volunteers on Nov. 3 on the Mall as course marshal, setup, sponsor assistance and more. Volunteers must be over 16 years old or accompanied by an adult. Please register online, greaterwashingtonheartwalk.org, and click on detailed info for all the specifics.
- Prince William Conservation Alliance needs volunteers for the continuing buffer restoration on Minnieville Road on Oct. 20 from 10:00 a. m.-12:00 p. m. Please RSVP to [email protected].
- Meals on Wheels needs volunteers to deliver noon meals to homebound seniors throughout the community. These meals are delivered Monday-Friday, no weekends, holidays or during periods of inclement weather. It takes about two hours to do your route and certainly can pick your day. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
- Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Operation Turkey has kicked off at both ACTS in Dumfries and SERVE in Manassas. Please pick up a few extra items each time you shop or organize a food drive at your work. For all the specifics please visit actspwc.org and nvfs.org.
Other Volunteer Opportunities and Community Events
- The DEA National Rx Takeback is Saturday, Oct. 27, 10:00 a. m.-2:00 p. m. at the PWC Police Central District Station, Novant Haymarket and Novant Manassas Medical Centers. This is a great way to dispose of old meds. Everything should be in a sealed container/bag and personal info removed!
- Catholic Charities Hogar Center is looking volunteers to assist students with job applications, resumes, and mock interviews to prepare them for the workforce. Please email Arielle, [email protected], to learn more.
- Virginia Service invites you to nominate your favorite volunteer for the 2019 Governor’s Award in Volunteering Excellence. The categories include Adult, youth, senior, family, faith-based organization, educational institution, community organization, small business and corporation. Nominations are due by Dec. 15. Please visit virginiaservice.virginia.gov for all the specifics.
- Youth for Tomorrow is looking for male mentors to share their time and talent with a young man. This promises to be a rewarding few hours per month, providing male youth with a positive role model to emulate. Please fill out the volunteer application at youthfortomorrow.org.
- Soroptimists International of Manassas is hosting Family Night Out events at local restaurants this fall. Visit Jukebox Diner in Manassas through Nov. 22 and The Bone in Historic Downtoan Manassas Oct. 25. A portion of your receipt will help this organization with their scholarship fund. It’s a great way to get out of fixing dinner and support a worthy cause! Please email [email protected] for more information.
- Give the gift of literacy to local adults! Literacy Volunteers of America-Prince William is seeking volunteer tutors. Previous experience is not necessary. The next Tutor Training Workshop is Nov. 3, 8:45 a. m.-4:00 p. m. and Nov. 17, 9:00 a. m.-12:00 p. m. Attendance both days is required. Please register at (703) 670-5702 or [email protected].
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.