Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Volunteer Prince William provides a list of volunteer opportunities in the area every week. Here are just a few of them:
Outdoor Festivals & Walks
- Historic Manassas needs volunteers on Oct. 27 from 10:00 a. m.-12:00 noon for their Haunted Happenings event. Duties include helping with games, crafts and costume contest! Please email [email protected] to sign up for this fun event.
- Historic Dumfries is having their Ghost Walks every Saturday in October from 7:00-9:00 p. m. Hear stories during the outdoor guided tour, enjoy spooky mountain cider and lots more fun. The Weems-Botts Museum Annex is at 3944 Cameron Street, Dumfries. Sounds like great fun for the entire family.
- The Greater Washington Heart Walk needs volunteers on Nov. 3 on the Mall as course marshal, set-up, sponsor assistance and more. Volunteers must be over 16 or accompanied by an adult. Please register online at greaterwashingtonheartwalk.org and click on detailed info for all the specifics.
- Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and ACTS in Dumfries is looking for lots of volunteers to help with their Operation Turkey program. Please email Tamika at [email protected] for all the specifics.
- Operation Turkey has also kicked off at SERVE in Manassas. Please pick up a few extra items each time you shop or organize a food drive at your work. For all the specifics, please visit nvfs.org.
Food Deliveries and Donations
- House of Mercy needs lots of help and food donations year-round to feed over 400 families a month. Hold a food drive, share this on all your outlets and give them a call at (703) 659-1636 to learn more.
- Meals on Wheels needs volunteers to deliver noon meals to homebound seniors throughout the community. These meals are delivered Monday-Friday, no weekends, holidays or during periods of inclement weather. It takes about two hours to do your route and you certainly can pick your day. Please call Melodee at (703) 792-4583 to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
- Keep Prince William Beautiful has lots of fun clean-up events this fall. Come get your hands dirty and have fun. On Nov. 3, they are at the PWC Homeless Shelter near Potomac Mills; Nov. 10, they are at the Woodbridge Senior Center; Nov. 17, they are at Veterans Park; and Dec. 5 is the quarterly litter survey. Please call Nicole at (571) 285-3772 to join in where you can.
- The Autism Society needs a volunteer to help with their booth at the Annual Circle of Support Conference on Saturday, Nov. 3 from 8:00 a. m.-12:00 noon at Hylton High School. Please call Kristen at (703) 970-3676 to learn more.
- Soroptimists International of Manassas is hosting Family Night Out events at local restaurants this fall. Visit Jukebox Diner in Manassas through Nov. 22 and The Bone in Historic Downtown Manassas Oct. 25. A portion of your receipt will help this organization with their scholarship fund. It’s a great way to get out of fixing dinner and support a worthy cause! Please email [email protected] for more information.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) needs volunteers to advocate for a child who has been abused or neglected. Come join one of their information sessions to learn more about this outstanding program. You’ll receive extensive training to match your special heart for a child. Please email Suzanne at [email protected] for the times and locations of the information sessions for November and December.
- The DEA National Rx Takeback is Saturday, Oct. 27, 10:00 a. m.-2:00 p. m. at PWC Police Central District Station, Novant Haymarket and Novant Manassas Medical Centers. This is a great way to dispose of old meds. Everything should be in a sealed container/bag and personal info removed!
- Catholic Charities Hogar Center is looking volunteers to assist students with job applications, resumes, and mock interviews to prepare them for the workforce. Please email Arielle at [email protected] to learn more.
- Virginia Service invites you to nominate your favorite volunteer for the 2019 Governor’s Award in Volunteering Excellence. The categories include Adult, youth, senior, family, faith-based organization, educational institution, community organization, small business and corporation. Nominations are due by Dec. 15. Please visit virginiaservice.virginia.gov for all the specifics.
- Youth for Tomorrow is looking for male mentors to share their time and talent with a young man. This promises to be a rewarding few hours per month, providing male youth with a positive role model to emulate. Please fill out the volunteer application at youthfortomorrow.org.
- Give the gift of literacy to local adults! Literacy Volunteers of America-Prince William is seeking volunteer tutors. Previous experience is not necessary. The next Tutor Training Workshop is Nov. 3, 8:45 a. m.-4:00 p. m. and Nov. 17, 9:00 a. m.-12:00 p. m. Attendance both days is required. Please register at (703) 670-5702 or [email protected].
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.