Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Volunteer Prince William compiles a list of all the volunteer opportunities in the greater Prince William area. Here are just a few of them:
Thanksgiving Dinners, Food Donations, Meal Deliveries
- SERVE needs a group of up to eight members age 16+ to provide, prepare and serve Thanksgiving dinner at 5:00 p. m. Come share the joy with the families in the shelter. Please call Julie at (571) 748-2674 for all the specifics.
- Friends of SERVE are collecting turkeys on Wednesday, Nov. 14, from 4:30-7:30 p. m. at the Virginia Gateway Promenade Fountain. Look for the waving turkey! Come help with their ambitious goal of 700 turkeys. If you can’t make it that day, your donation is always welcome at the SERVE food pantry in Manassas.
- Home Life VA is hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner for the homeless in the Manassas area on Sunday, Nov. 18. Donations of food or prepared dishes are needed for this event. Please email Jamary at email@example.com for all the latest news on this splendid event.
- House of Mercy also needs lots of help and food donations year-round to feed over 400 families a month. Hold a food drive, share this on all your outlets and give them a call at (703) 659-1636 to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
Christmas and Holidays
- The Un Trim A Tree Holiday Gift Program is in full swing and needs your help to provide toys and warm clothes to over 5,000 needy kids in our community. It’s simple and fun to share the joy by buying two gifts for each child from their wish list. Please visit volunteerprincewilliam.org to learn more.
- The Trillium Center is hosting their Annual Christmas Party at the Drop-In Center and is looking for gifts such as gift cards, hats, gloves, pet supplies, book bags or anything else fun you can think of to share. The Center provides stress-free, stigma-free atmosphere for people 18 and over who are mental health consumers. Please call Cynthia at (703) 763-3865 to learn more.
- Wreaths Across America invite you and your family to the Annual Wreath Laying event on Saturday, Dec. 15 at both Arlington National Cemetery and our own Quantico National Cemetery. You can register to volunteer on their website, wreathsacrossamerica.org. Come Remember, Honor and Teach our youngsters these values.
- Leesylvania State Park needs volunteers for their monthly shoreline cleanups to pick up trash and drift wood. The work days are Dec. 1, Jan. 19, Feb. 16, March 23, April 13 and May 18. Please register by calling the visitor center at (703) 583-6904 so they have your name to waive the park entry fee.
- The Woodbridge District invites you to their Big Cleanup & Education on Plastic Pollution event on Saturday, Nov. 17, 9:00 a. m.-12:00 p. m. at Veterans Memorial Park. Please register online at pwtsc.org.
- Keep Prince William Beautiful has lots of fun clean-up events this fall. Come get your hands dirty and have fun. On Nov. 17, they are at Veterans Park and Dec. 5 is the quarterly litter survey. Please call Nicole at (571) 285-3772 to join in where you can.
- Saved Hands Foundation is having a free resume writing workshop from 10:00 a. m.-12:30 p. m. on Nov. 16 at the Virginia Workforce center on Minnieville Road in Woodbridge.
- The Greater Prince William Medical Reserve Corps needs both medical and non-medical volunteers to join their ranks. These volunteers are trained to respond to public health emergencies as well as day to day activities. They offer tons of training topics to build your skillset. Please call Amy at (703) 792-7341 to learn more.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension is having a First Time Buyers Seminar on Saturday, Nov. 17 in Manassas given in Spanish and in Woodbridge given in English. Please call Joanne at (703) 792-5891 to register.
Working with Children and Youth
- Court Appointed Special Advocates- CASA needs volunteers to advocate for a child who has been abused or neglected. Come join one of their information sessions to learn more about this outstanding program. You’ll receive extensive training to match your special heart for a child. Sessions will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 14 at the CASA office in Manassas, and at the Mason Enterprise Center on Dec. 12. Please email Suzanne at firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
- Youth for Tomorrow needs volunteer mentors to spend a couple of hours a week with young person. We’ve all had good people support us along the way- here’s your chance to do the same. You can apply online at youthfortomorrow.org or by calling Vernell at (703) 396-7203 to learn more.
- Catholic Charities Hogar Center is looking volunteers to assist students with job applications, resumes, and mock interviews to prepare them for the workforce. Please email Arielle at email@example.com to learn more.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- The Center for the Arts needs volunteer docents Monday – Friday during the day. This volunteer opportunity includes greeting visitors and sharing the Center’s history and programs. Please call Jordan at (703) 330-2787 to learn more.
- Virginia Service invites you to nominate your favorite volunteer for the 2019 Governor’s Award in Volunteering Excellence. The categories include Adult, youth, senior, family, faith-based organization, educational institution, community organization, small business and corporation. Nominations are due by Dec. 15. Please visit virginiaservice.virginia.gov for all the specifics.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.