Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Volunteer Prince William maintains a listing of all volunteer opportunities in the greater Prince William area. Here are just a few of them:
Meals and Food Distribution
- Volunteers are needed at The Saint Lucy Food Distribution Hub in Manassas to help sort, package and perhaps deliver food items to local food pantries in the area in 40-pound boxes. Hours are Monday-Friday, 10:00 a. m. to 4:00 p. m. Come help families in need. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
Working with Children and Youth
- CASA Children’s Intervention Services invites you to their next volunteer information session on Tuesday, Jan. 15, 6:00-7:00 p. m. at their Manassas office. Come learn how you can advocate for a child who has been abused or abandoned. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
- ACTS has a great way for you to celebrate spring by donating to their Prom Shop so more girls can enjoy that special day. They are collecting dresses, shoes, new make-up and accessories to share with the kids. Please call Lydia at (703) 441-8606 ext. 249 to learn more.
- Catholic Charities Hogar Center is looking volunteers to assist students with job applications, resumes, and mock interviews to prepare them for the workforce. Email [email protected] to learn more.
- Wreaths Across America will hold the Wreaths Out event at Arlington National Cemetery on Jan. 19 starting at 8:00 a. m. and at Quantico National Cemetery on Saturday, Feb. 2 at 8:00 a. m. No reservations needed – just gather your friends and family to support this important effort
- Northern Virginia Family Service needs volunteers for the Annual Point in Time survey on Thursday, Jan. 24 starting at 6:30 a. m. Volunteers will accompany professional staff into outdoor shelters and campsites looking for information on homeless individuals and offering food, supplies and information on safer housing locations. Volunteers must be over age 18. Please dress warmly, as this activity is held in all weather situations. Please contact Julie at (571) 748-2674 for more info or email [email protected].
- Leesylvania State Park needs volunteers for their monthly shoreline cleanups to pick up trash and driftwood. The work days are Jan. 19, Feb. 16, March 23, April 13 and May 18. Please register by calling the visitor center at (703) 583-6904 so they have your name to waive the park entry fee.
- The Tough Mudder is coming to Silver Lake in Haymarket on June 1-2. This team oriented 8-10 mile obstacle course will have thousands of participants. Volunteers are needed in lots of locations and duties. You won’t want to miss this fun event. Please visit toughmudder.com/events/volunteer-information to learn more. This event is hosted by the PWC Office of Tourism.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Virginia Cooperative Extension is having their Certified Master Financial Educator Volunteer Training on Wednesdays from 1:00-4:00 p. m. March 6 – May 1. The training is also available Mondays from 6:30-9:30 p. m. April 29-June 24. You will be fully trained to present credit and debit management, spending plans, cash management, identity theft, savings and investments, personal financial coaching and more. One time registration of $75 includes a background check. Please visit pwcgov.org/money, then click on volunteer to learn more.
- Here’s a huge cheers to ACTS, celebrating their 50th Anniversary of service to our community. You are cordially invited to their Gala on Feb. 28 at the Hylton Performing Arts Center, 6:00-9:00 p. m. There are sponsorships available to help them meet a $50,000 matching gift! Tickets go on sale Jan. 20. Please visit actspwc.org/gala to learn more.
- Saved Hands Foundation needs volunteers to be instructors, write grants and help in the office. Please visit savedhandsfoundation.org to learn more and register as a volunteer.
- The Greater Prince William Medical Reserve Corps needs both medical and non-medical volunteers to join their ranks. These volunteers are trained to respond to public health emergencies as well as day to day activities. They offer many training topics to build your skill set. Please call Amy at (703) 792-7341 to learn more.
- The Center for the Arts needs volunteer docents Monday – Friday during the day. This volunteer opportunity includes greeting visitors and sharing the Center’s history and programs. Please call Jordan at (703) 330-2787 to learn more.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.