Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Volunteer Prince William serves as a clearinghouse for all the volunteer opportunities throughout Prince William. Here are just a few of those opportunities:
Smoke Alarm Installation
- The American Red Cross needs volunteers to help them install smoke alarms and distribute home fire prevention information on Saturday, Feb, 23 in Woodbridge. They are working in the Village Gate community with 300 homes and would greatly appreciate your help. The event is from 9:00 a.m. -2:00 p. m. Please use their online registration site. Or email [email protected] for more info.
- Youth for Tomorrow needs volunteers to share their hobby or talent with at-risk teens on the weekends. Do you like golf, sewing, dancing, cooking baking writing poetry crocheting, writing songs or other fun thing – then you’re the perfect person to share your talent with a kid. Please register online: youthfortomorrow.org.
- Agape Love in Action needs volunteers to teach basic computer classes at the Manassas Senior Center on Tuesdays for two hours. Please email Corliss for more info: [email protected]
- Saved Hands Foundation needs volunteers to be instructors, write grants and help in the office. Please visit savedhandsfoundation.org to learn more and register as a volunteer.
- Catholic Charities Hogar Center is looking volunteers to assist students with job applications, resumes, and mock interviews to prepare them for the workforce. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
Food & Meal Distribution
- SERVE Food Pantry needs volunteers to pick up food donations at area grocery stores and restaurants and deliver them to the Pantry. Monday is an especially busy day. They also need bilingual Spanish speakers to assist with client intake Monday-Friday. Please email [email protected] for more info.
- Volunteers are needed at The Catholic Charities Saint Lucy Food Distribution Hub in Manassas to help sort, package and perhaps deliver food items to local food pantries in the area in 40-pound boxes. Hours are Monday-Friday 10:00 a. m. to 4:00 p. m. Come help families in need. Please email [email protected] to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three 3 hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension invites you to a number of free classes this month. The classes include Small Business Workshop on Feb. 20 from 1:00-3:00 p. m. at Financial Empowerment Center, Woodbridge, and getting ready for taxes on Feb. 21 from 7:00-9:00 p. m. at Ashton Avenue offices. Please call Joanne at (703) 792-5891 for more info.
- Literacy Volunteers is gearing up for their next tutor training on March 2 and 16. Come get all the tools and skills to help another with their literacy needs. Please call (703) 670-5702 to register.
- The Greater Prince William Medical Reserve Corps needs both medical and non-medical volunteers to join their ranks. These volunteers are trained to respond to public health emergencies as well as day to day activities. They offer tons of training topics to build your skillset. Please call Amy at (703) 792-7341 to learn more.
- The Quantico Creek Clean-up in partnership with the Town of Dumries is Saturday, Feb. 23 from 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon. This is a great way to solve the plastic pollution in the creek. Cleanup supplies will be provided, but please wear boots and dress for the weather. Please contact [email protected] to learn more.
- The Tough Mudder is coming to Silver Lake in Haymarket on June 1-2. This team oriented 8-10 mile obstacle course will have thousands of participants. Volunteers are needed in lots of locations and duties. You won’t want to miss this fun event. Please visit toughmudder.com/events/volunteer-information to learn more. This event is hosted by the PWC Office of Tourism.
- Leesylvania State Park needs volunteers for their monthly shoreline cleanups to pick up trash and driftwood. The work days are Feb. 16, March 23, April 13 and May 18. Please register by calling the visitor center at (703) 583-6904 so they have your name to waive the park entry fee.
- The American Heart Association needs volunteers for their Heart’s Delight Wine Tasting & Auction event on March 6, 8 and 9 in D.C. Please visit their website to register for specific shifts and locations.
- Serve our Willing Warriors is having their Annual Monte Carlo Night on Saturday, Feb. 23 at the Regency Dominion Clubhouse. This promises to be great fun and is for a great cause. Please visit willingwarriors.org/events to purchase tickets and learn more.
- Here’s a huge cheers to ACTS in celebration of their 50th Anniversary of service to our community. You are cordially invited to their Gala on Feb. 28 at the Hylton Performing Arts Center, 6:00-9:00 p. m. There are sponsorships available to help them meet a $50,000 matching gift! Please visit actspwc.org/gala to learn more.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Novant Health/ UVA Health System need volunteers to assist in the surgical services departments at both locations (Manassas and Haymarket). Tasks include taking care of patients, turning over rooms and restocking supplies. Shifts are Monday-Friday either 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon or 12:00 noon to 3:00 p. m. There is also a need for volunteers in the thrifts store and gift shops. Please call the volunteer services office at (703) 369-8173 or apply online.enjoy that special day. They are collecting dresses, shoes, new make-up and accessories to share with the kids. Please call Lydia at (703) 441-8606 ext. 249 to learn more.
- The Center for the Arts needs volunteer docents Monday – Friday during the day. This volunteer opportunity includes greeting visitors and sharing the Center’s history and programs. Please call Jordan at (703) 330-2787 to learn more.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.