Provided by Volunteer Prince William
There are a number of volunteer opportunities throughout Greater Prince William. Here are just a few of them:
- The 2019 Big County Stream Cleanup will be held on March 2, 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon at Neabsco Eagles Park, 15801 Neabsco Road, Woodbridge. Help promote water quality and plastic pollution awareness around the newly constructed Woodbridge boardwalk. It’s a great way to get outdoors and help the environment! To register, please visit pwtsc.org.
- The Quantico Creek Clean-up in partnership with the Town of Dumfries is rescheduled for Saturday, April 13, 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon. This is a great way to solve the plastic pollution in the creek. Cleanup supplies will be provided; please wear boots and dress for the weather. Please contact email@example.com to learn more.
- The Tough Mudder is coming to Silver Lake in Haymarket on June 1-2. This team oriented 8-10 mile obstacle course will have thousands of participants. Volunteers are needed in lots of locations and duties. You won’t want to miss this fun event. Please visit their website to learn more. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. This event is hosted by the PWC Office of Tourism.
- Leesylvania State Park needs volunteers for their monthly shoreline cleanups to pick up trash and driftwood. The work days are March 23, April 13 and May 18. Please register by calling the visitor center at (703) 583-6904 so they have your name to waive the park entry fee.
Food and Meal Distribution
- Please join Lutheran Church of the Covenant and Woodbridge Rotary Club pack 30,000 meals for those in need overseas on Saturday March 23 from 9:00 am-12:00 noon. Please register here to volunteer.
- SERVE Food Pantry needs volunteers to pick up food donations at area grocery stores and restaurants and deliver them to the Pantry. Monday is an especially busy day. They also need bilingual Spanish speakers to assist with client intake Monday-Friday. Please email email@example.com for more info.
- Volunteers are needed at The Catholic Charities Saint Lucy Food Distribution Hub in Manassas to help sort, package and perhaps deliver food items to local food pantries in the area in 40-pound boxes. Hours are Monday-Friday, 10:00 a. m. to 4:00 p. m. Come help families in need. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
- House of Mercy invites you to their Afternoon Tea & Fashion Show event on Sunday, March 31 at 2:00 p. m. Tickets are just $35 for a great time. Purchase tickets here.
- The American Heart Association needs volunteers for their Heart’s Delight Wine Tasting & Auction event on March 6, 8 and 9 in D.C. Please visit their website to register for specific shifts and locations.
Instruction and Mentoring
- Youth for Tomorrow needs volunteers to share their hobby or talent with at-risk teens on the weekends. Do you like golf, sewing, dancing, cooking baking writing poetry crocheting, writing songs or other fun thing? Then you’re the perfect person to share your talent with a kid. Please register online: youthfortomorrow.org.
- Youth for Tomorrow also needs male mentors to coach a young man on some basic life skills and find the right path into adulthood. It’s a great way to get out of your comfort zone and make a positive impact on a youth! Please register online: youthfortomorrow.org.
- Agape Love in Action needs volunteers to teach basic computer classes at the Manassas Senior Center on Tuesdays for two hours. Please email email@example.com for more info.
- Literacy Volunteers is gearing up for their next tutor training on March 2 and 16. Come get all the tools and skills to help another with their literacy needs. Please call (703) 670-5702 to register.
- Saved Hands Foundation needs volunteers to be instructors, write grants and help in the office. Please visit their website to learn more and register as a volunteer.
- Virginia Cooperative Extension is holding Certified Master Financial Educator Volunteer Training on Wednesdays from 1:00-4:00 p. m., March 6 – May 1, or Mondays 6:30-9:30 p. m. April 29-June 24. You will be fully trained to present credit and debit management, spending plans, cash management, identity theft, savings and investments personal financial coaching and more. One time registration of $75 includes a background check. Please visit the website, then click on volunteer to learn more.
- The Greater Prince William Medical Reserve Corps needs both medical and non-medical volunteers to join their ranks. These volunteers are trained to respond to public health emergencies as well as day to day activities. They offer tons of training topics to build your skill set. Please call Amy at (703) 792-7341 to learn more.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Novant Health/ UVA Health System need volunteers to assist in the surgical services departments at both locations. Tasks include taking care of patients, turning over rooms and restocking supplies. Shifts are Monday-Friday, either 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon or 12:00 noon to 3:00 p. m. There is also a need for volunteers in the thrifts store and gift shops. Please call the volunteer services office at (703) 369-8173 or apply online.
- ACTS has a great way for you to celebrate spring by donating to their Prom Shop so more girls can enjoy that special day. They are collecting dresses, shoes, new make-up and accessories to share with the kids. Please call Lydia at (703) 441-8606 ext. 249 to learn more.
- The Center for the Arts needs volunteer docents Monday – Friday during the day. This volunteer opportunity includes greeting visitors and sharing the Center’s history and programs. Please call Jordan at (703) 330-2787 to learn more.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at(703) 369-5292 or visit volunteerprincewilliam.org. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.