Provided by Volunteer Prince William
Volunteer Prince William maintains a list of volunteer opportunities in greater Prince William and issues a call to action every week:
Medical Setting Volunteers
- Prince William Health District is calling for volunteers on July 19 from 1:00-2:30 p. m. to travel through a simulated medication dispensing site at Metz Middle School, 9950 Wellington Road, Manassas. Although no actual medications will be handed out, public health staff and volunteers will go through the same procedures and protocols that they would use to dispense medications in a real disaster. People of all ages, including parents with young children, people with disabilities, college students and faculty, scouts, community groups, seniors, members of faith-based communities, corporate employees and the public are encouraged to register in advance. No special training or experience is needed. Children under 16 should be accompanied by an adult. Participants should allow for 1.5 hours for the exercise. Please contact Amy Feinberg for the registration link.
- Novant UVA Health System needs volunteers in their surgical services at the Manassas and Haymarket hospitals. They also need volunteers at the Aubergine Thrift Store in Old Town Manassas. Come be part of the team benefitting the community. Please call (571) 284-1278 or visit their website to learn more.
Working with Youth
- The Sweet Julia Grace Foundation needs a volunteer tutor to work with a rising second-grader to help him with his reading skills before the start of school. This young man has missed a lot of school due to his cancer treatments. He lives in Gainesville. Please email Sara to learn more.
- SERVE has a great opportunity for a youth groups, your office and/or family- please collect supplies for the summer camp they run for the children living in the shelter. The list includes water balloons, sidewalk chalk, disposable plates, ping pong balls, yarn, fabric paint and fabric paint pens, white drawstring backpack bags, large sponges, play dough, hand wipes, insect repellent, sunscreen, garden sprinkler, small prizes, healthy snacks for the kids. This reminds me of my childhood at camp! Please email Julie to learn more. Donations are accepted through July.
- Keep Prince William Beautiful needs volunteers to present programs to the campers at Veterans Park this summer. This is a great job for teens. Please email them to learn more.
Office Volunteers Needed
- Prince William Conservation Alliance is looking for office volunteers age 21+ for a couple of hours each week in their Woodbridge office. Duties include organizing mailing lists and preparing for large mailings and staffing the welcome table at events. Good folks doing really good stuff in the community! Please email them for all the specifics.
- Helping Neighbors in Need Outreach Center needs an administrative assistant to help in the Woodbridge office Monday-Wednesday 9:30 a. m.-1:00 p. m. Duties include answering the phone, registering clients, receiving donations and logging them in. Please call Pastor Edmonds at (703) 964-7725 to learn more.
- The National Museum of the Marine Corps needs volunteers to become gallery docents and hospitality ambassadors. Volunteers must be age 16 years +. Please register online.
Home Repairs and Outdoor Volunteering
- Project Mend A House provides home repairs and a safety improvement to seniors’ homes. They need both skilled and unskilled volunteers throughout the community. Please visit their website to learn more and to register as a volunteer.
- Prince William Soil & Water Conservation District need volunteers at a host of fun projects this summer:
- Merrimac Farm needs volunteers to weed, prune, watering plants and clean up. Please wear long pants, long socks and sturdy shoes! Workday this summer is July 6, 9:00 a. m.-12:00 noon. Please RSVP to [email protected] or (703) 490-5200.
Meal and Food Deliveries
- Area Agency on Aging needs volunteers to deliver Meals on Wheels mid-day in both the Manassas and Woodbridge communities. Meals are delivered Monday – Friday. They also need volunteer activity assistants at the Adult Day Healthcare Center for fun activities such as chess, checkers, dominoes, and bingo and play musical instruments. Please visit their website for more info.
- The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for volunteers age 55+ to deliver noon meals through the Meals on Wheels Program. Shifts are just two to three hours and available throughout the area. RSVP members receive a mileage reimbursement and additional insurance coverage at no cost to the volunteer. Please call Jan at (571) 292-5307 to learn more.
If you are looking for other opportunities, please call Volunteer Prince William at (703) 369-5292 or visit our website. Thanks so much for all you do in our community.