Provided by Prince William Soil and Water Conservation District
Water quality volunteers make a difference! How much water do we drink daily? What is the source of your drinking water in Prince William County? How much life and biodiversity do waterways support?
In 2021, the Prince William Soil and Water Conservation District has had an increasing amount of citizen engagement in its Water Quality programs. For example, its Adopt-A Stream/Pond program registered 605 volunteers who collected over 19,726 pounds of debris from an estimated 21.15 miles of Prince William County’s waterways (January to April 2021 only). This recorded 1,770 hours of citizen volunteer time saved the County government $50,515.80 of taxpayers’ money (Independent Sector, 2021).
April New Water Quality Partners
- Aurora Flight Science – Cannon Branch
- Patriot High School Students – Kettle Run
- Girl Scout Troop 4670 – Occoquan Watershed
Volunteers Make a Difference on the Waterways
- BAE Systems – Manassas, Bull Run
- Belmont Bay Paddlers and Community – Belmont Bay
- Boy Scout Troop 964 – Neabsco Creek
- Boy Scout Troop 670 – Rocky Branch
- Boy Scout Troop 964 -Powells Creek
- Friends Of Occoquan- Occoquan River
- Gar-Field Senior High School’s Green Club – Neabsco Creek
- Lyon Family – Broad Run
- Merrimac Farm Master Naturalist – Bull Run Watershed Protectors- Bull Run
- Merrimac Farm Master Naturalists -Neabsco Creek
- Nike Jackson “Go to the Beach” – Neabsco Creek
- Prince William Trails and Streams Coalition( PWTSC)- Neabsco Creek
- Servants of Allah – Powells Creek
- SERVICLEAN Inc. – Neabsco Creek
- Town of Dumfries – Quantico Creek
- Woodard Family – Flat Branch
- Woodbridge Potomac Community Civics Association (WPCCA)- Neabsco Creek
Water Quality Monitoring Program
Kudos to the Water Monitors
- Sarah Bergmann – Adopts a new biological monitoring sites at Russia Branch in Manassas Park.
- Mike Mobley – (Merrimac Farm Master Naturalist)- Introduce E.coli monitoring in the Woodbridge community for more water quality awareness in Prince William County.
- Janis Cook – Airport Creek – Lake Ridge and the Bull Run Team
- Special thanks to Jim White for his dedication and service in water quality awareness for the Conservation District and Town of Dumfries.