Willow Oak Place Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by the Prince William County Department of Fire & Rescue

On Sunday, March 15th at approximately 6:30 a.m., fire and rescue units were dispatched to a structure fire of an attached garage located in the 5100 block of Willow Oak Place in Montclair.

Upon arrival, firefighters observed fire emitting from the front side of the garage. Fire and rescue crews proceeded to attack and extinguish the fire with no extension to the primary residence.

No injuries reported.

The fire was reported by a neighbor who was alerted to the fire by their dog who repeatedly signaled to go outside. As the owner approached the door, he observed the fire and immediately called 9-1-1.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, preliminary damages are an estimated $70,000.

The building was posted unsafe by a Building Inspector.

The origin of the fire was the garage. The cause has been determined accidental due to improper discarding of charcoal ashes in a garbage receptacle.

Prince William County Department of Fire and Rescue (www.pwcgov.org/fire) urge residents to follow these simple safety wood stove or charcoal grill:

 Hot coals, hidden in a pile of ashes and thus well insulated, can stay hot for up to 4 days! Never empty ashes into a paper or plastic bag, cardboard box, or other similar container.

 To discard hot ashes: DO allow ashes to cool (4 days) before removing; moisten the ashes and then place them in a metal container, with a tight fitting lid, outside and well away from the house (at least 20 feet away from the home and combustibles). DO NOT store on your deck, in your garage or in any location that may allow heat to transfer the hot coals to nearby flammable items.


Leave A Reply