Winchester Court Fire Incident

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

Provided by Prince William Fire & Rescue

DFR's 50th Anniversary Logo

On Thursday, August 4, at 7:57 a. m., fire and rescue crews were dispatched to a townhouse fire located in the 10200 block of Winchester Court in Manassas.

Upon arrival, fire and rescue units observed a fire blazing from the front of the home. The fire, located on the third floor of the three-story mid-row townhouse, had extended to the attic above the bedroom. Firefighters extinguished the fire and searched for further extension; no further extension was found.

No injuries reported.

Red Cross was on scene to assist seven adults and one child displaced by the fire.

The Building Official has posted the home unsafe.

According to the Fire Marshal’s Office, the home sustained significant damage to the third floor and attic; preliminary damages are estimated at $60,000.

The area of origin was the third floor bedroom; the cause was electrical and has been determined as accidental.

Prince William County Fire and Rescue Chief Kevin McGee would like to remind residents that smoke alarms save lives (pwcgov.org/SmokeAlarms). You double your chances of surviving a fire when you install working smoke alarms in your home.

Remember to:

  • Install smoke detectors on every level within the home including the basement.
  • Test smoke detectors monthly and replace batteries as needed.
  • NEVER remove the battery for use in other appliances.
  • Change batteries when you change clocks (spring and fall).
  • Replace smoke detectors every 10 years.

Proper maintenance of smoke detectors can cut the chances of dying in a house fire significantly.

Share.

Leave A Reply