Provided by Youth Orchestras of Prince William
Youth Orchestras of Prince William (YOPW) invites students to audition for the 2019-20 season. Auditions will be held between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on Aug. 24 and 25 at Prince William String Academy, 9327 Main Street, Manassas. All students, returning and new, must schedule an audition by visiting slotted.co/yopwauditions and selecting an audition time. Audition requirements are available on the landing page of YOPW’s under-construction website, yopw.org.
Students are welcome to prepare the audition materials for the ensemble they believe is most appropriate for their level. The Music Directors reserve the right to final discretion on ensemble placement and seating based on ensemble needs, balance, and the best interests of the individual students.
YOPW rehearsals are held on Monday evenings (location TBA) beginning on Sept. 16 as follows:
- Repertory Orchestra, Brian Smith, Music Director: 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. (appropriate for string students with at least two years of playing experience in either a school or private setting; performs music that is VBODA grad 2-3)
- Concert Orchestra, Alan Buxbaum, Music Director: 6:30 to 8:45 p.m. (appropriate for full orchestra students ready for more difficult repertoire; technical skills and music theory are incorporated into rehearsals)
- Youth Symphony Orchestra, JoAnna Cochenet and Juan Gallastegui, Music Directors: 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. (appropriate for advanced, full orchestra students ready to perform the standard repertoire)
Students are expected to arrive fifteen minutes before call time to sign in and prepare to rehearse.
This season, YOPW’s concerts will be held on the Merchant Hall Stage of the Hylton Performing Arts Center, 10960 George Mason Circle, Manassas:
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 2:00 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb. 16, 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 22, 7:30 p.m.
In addition to concerts, YOPW families will be invited to participate in a Meet and Greet on Sept. 9, masterclasses, a yoga for musicians workshop, and a solo recital.